Why dynamic indoor rowing?
The benefits of dynamic indoor rowing on the DX are:
- Creates less stress and strain on the lower back, ribs and joints compared to a stationary rowing machine.
- Provides an ultra smooth and fluid stroke cycle – no slip or jerk at the beginning of stroke.
- Engages the leg muscles more proportionally by using a push not pull action.
- Strengthens core stability and improves posture.
- Encourages better rowing technique and coordination.
- Feels the closest to rowing on the water.
- Provides low impact exercise and mobility for rehabilitation from injury
Stationary vs Dynamic rowing machines
There is a big difference in the way a dynamic rowing machine and a stationary rowing machine replicate the biomechanics of the rowing stroke.
The stationary rowing machine forces the body to absorb much higher loads than naturally occurs in a rowing boat.
While it looks like rowing, it’s not a realistic simulation, not the way real rowing is meant to feel and can be doing more harm than good!
On a stationary rowing machine the rower has to accelerate and decelerate their total body mass each stroke. This constant changing of direction increases the work the body has to do which in turn increases the rate of muscular fatigue and wear and tear on the body.
This repetitive overloading also impacts the rate of recovery and has a roll on effect into following activities and exercises such as weights and this residual fatigue can make the body more vulnerable to injury.
The dynamic movement of the DX significantly reduces the risk of injury by loading your body in a much safer and more natural way.
On a dynamic machine, instead of moving your body mass back and forth, the dynamic frame of the machine which is substantially lighter than your body, moves instead.
Therefore the initial loading absorbed by the lumbar spine during the drive phase is much lower, and your body does not have to be decelerated at the finish by the hip flexors or by the knees at the catch.
The big advantage of the DX is how the reduced loading and rate of fatigue preserves the body, improves the ability for you to train safely, regularly, with higher intensities and for longer distances. Even if you only use a rowing machine for a short workout or warm up you will feel a significant difference and benefit.